Feb 24, 2014

RIP Sarah Jones

I don't know Sarah. I came across the unfortunate incident that cause her death through someone sharing this post: about how we are 'just making movies' and this variety report.  Though I am very new to the industry, I can still appreciate the sense of loss in the film-making community. Most likely, the deaths on set are due to problems with stunts. No one expects the 2nd Camera Assistant to be hit by a train that isn't even part of the shot. I also understand what the blogger described in the euphoric 'We just need to get this shot' mentality. Jobs in the industry can be hard to get and hard to keep.

It sounds glamorous, but it is hard work. I had my first filming days as principle cast this week on a student film and there was a guy who came in for a non-speaking part. He had never been on a set before in his life. About half way through the day he looked exhausted. He looked around at all the different people working; producers, directors, locations, cinematography, lighting, wardrobe, make-up, props, set dec, and more. Then he turned to me as we sat in our chairs and said he didn't understand how we could do this all day every day. He said he was going crazy in his head with all the waiting and rushing and changes....the scope and pace of it all on a 'simple' 5 minute student short filmed over three days for which he was only there for one. I told him I learned the same thing, but loved it. Another actor there said, "but it's not for everyone." True. So true. It's not for everyone. It was for Sarah. She was dedicated. Worked hard day in and day out. Trying to settle into her career in one of the most demanding of jobs. Some people work 15-16 hour days every day for weeks. It can be a fun job, but it's still a job.

I hope this brings more awareness and is a wake-up call for everyone in the industry. I have been fortunate that my experience has been one of extreme safety precaution. If there is even a chance of a small injury, not only for lead cast, but the background performers, the shot has been changed or the blocking adjusted, or an element cut. This is not always the case. If you work on a set, or even inf you work in a completely different job, remember safety first. It's just a movie. It's just payroll paperwork. It's just garbage pick-up. It's just package delivery. It's just landscaping. It's just work and there is only one you. You have the right to refuse any work that you deem to be unsafe without disciplinary action. Use your rights. Rest in Peace, Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment